Question
Posted by: Curious | 2005/06/24

Another preggie weight gain question

I'm 29 and 24 weeks pregnant with my first child. I weighed 73 (1.64m tall) before I fell pregnant and gained 10 kg's so far. I am very much concerned about this but had unbelievable food cravings which I tried to control but gave into at one stage. Now I need to do something before my weight gets out of control and I would like to follow your diet. The problem is that I LOVE MILO at this stage and would like to know if I can add some Milo to that 2 cups of milk I need to add extra every day? I would just like to get your opinion on my weight gain up to date and if you think I will loose some weight if I follow this diet until my baby is born in october. Any advise on water retention?

Many thanks

Dear Curious
Because you started your pregnancy with a BMI of 27, 3 which is above the normal range (18-25), you should only gain between 7 and 11,5 kg during the entire pregnancy. You have, therefore, already gained nearly all the weight that you should gain and your are only finished with the second trimester with another 3 months to go. If you do use the low-fat, high-fibre Slimming diet you need to add 2 cups of fat-free milk or 1 cup of fat-free yoghurt or cottage cheese to the diet to provide you with the additional calcium you and baby need. You should also take iron and folic acid supplements (I trust your gynae or dr have prescribed them) and omega-3 supplements (Salmon oil capsules). Discuss the water retention with your dr because this could be an indication of a problem and may require treatment. Also ask the dr if you are allowed to do any exercise such as going for gentle walks or swimming, but only if this does not affect the baby or your pregnancy. Remember that at this stage you are NOT trying to lose weight, but to prevent additional weight gain.
Enjoy your last trimester

1
Posted by: AFB | 2005/06/24

I am just as far as you, have gained 8kg by now, I share your feelings, strange as it may sound I am just as tall as you as well. If you need some encouragement I will be your buddy till our due dates.

Reply to AFB