Question
Posted by: Jackie again | 2003/12/11

Another etopic - doc say nothing's wrong

Hi there!
I wrote to u last Friday re the "another etopic within 3 months".
I was admitted to hospital on Tuesday with severe lower abdominal pains. After an ultra sound taken by one of the hospital's gynaes. He immediately said he could see endometriosis and cysts, also a "collapsed uterus", and a possible spastic colon. After spending 24 hours on antibiotics and pethadine (spelling?), I was discharged with a prescription for contraseptives by a different gynae. She said that there wasn't anything that could cause this pain - that felt as if everything was falling out, and my stomach look as if I'm 6-7 months pregnant. This couldn't possibly be my mind playing games? Where can I go to get everything tested? And why is there new cysts after they gave me a D&C in August?

The main way of excluding an ectopic pregnancy is to do a pregnancy test. If this is negative, then there is no pregnancy. Cas is right that a D&C only involves the uterus and would not account for ovarian cysts or endometriotic cysts. If you have endometriosis or an ovarian cyst, the Pill is a reasonable treatment. Spastic colon can also cause pain and this should respond to changes in your diet. Fybogel also helps for this. You should see your doctor again in about three months for a follow-up.

1
Posted by: Cas | 2003/12/11

If the Doc gave you the contraceptive pill, then this should stop the cysts as it will stop you ovulating, however if you are planning to fall pregnant then this is obviously a problem. As far as I know a D & C only involves the uterus and not the ovaries and so it wouldn't have affected your cysts. The spastic colon could cause your stomach to distend and also give you terrible stomach ache. The best thing for this is to drink lots of water, eat plenty of fibre, fresh fruit, veges ect. If this doesn't help there is also something called fybrogel which is supposed to help

Reply to Cas