Question
Posted by: netria | 2007/03/15

another CSIRO-related question

I wrote to you earlier. I'm really happy with the CSIRO eating plan. It has not been difficult at all, and in the first week I lost 1.2 kg. The high protein works for me, as if keeps me full and doesn't make me crave for sweet things. Even though one can "break out" with something like a 20g chocolate twice a week, which I haven't done so far. The only question I have is this: I came to like ostrich meat occasionally: would this be considered "light" protein (fish, chicken, porc) or "heavy" protein (beef). The CSIRO book mentions the additional benefit of kangaroo meat (!), but does not mention ostrich meat.

Then also, can 100g meat be replaced with (fat removed) biltong? If so, what would the equal be in weight, also 100g?

Dear Netria
I'm pleased that you are losing steadily. Ostrich meat is low in fat and cholesterol (as is most venison) and you can certainly eat some in place of chicken or pork. If the biltong you eat is prepared from venison and you cut off the visible fat, then it can be regarded as "light' protein (low-fat), but beef biltong is still high in saturated fat and total fat because beef and mutton contains so-called marbling (fat globules that are spread throughout the meat between the muscle cells). So stick to the lower-fat options of ostrich and biltong made from venison.
Enjoy