Posted by: Patricia | 2008/07/06

Another country --> different symptoms?

Dear Doctor,
I had breathing problems as a child, when my life was divided between the countryside and city (in Portugal). At age 18, I had to move to the city and spent 4 years there. It's strange, but my health improved a lot (maybe because there weren't clouds of dust in the air all the time because the streets and sidewalks are of concrete?) Well, I had some quality life: only about two colds a year and far less cough. But at age 22, I moved to Germany. I live in the countryside but there are no clouds of dust here. However, for some reason, I catch a cold quite often and my colds last many weeks. I cough a lot, sweat all night long, have a hoarse throat (from my birth until age 22, I only had this twice).

A hoarse throat is my problem. I am trying to get rid of that annoying feeling in my throat again. This time I have no further symptoms. The pain started on Monday and doesn't seem to get any better. I tried everything but it still feels the same. I drink lots of water (not too cold) as I think it is good but I see no results.

My throat is dry, the left side of it feels like there's sand there, the other half hurts (I think it's a tolsil). I also noticed it stinks. I brush my teeth and tongue twice a day to keep bacteria away. I also drink tea (not too hot) to 'wash' my throat. Is there anything I could do besides that?

I heard salty water is good but I guess it only makes hoarseness worse. Is it true?

Thank you a lot.

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

Please see a doctor about this: your symptoms could indicate many different conditions. But they are worrying - a persistent cough, night sweats and hoarseness are all reason to get a medical checkup without delay. You could post your query on CyberDoc's forum too, but I'm sure the recommendation will also be: Make that dcotor's appointment!

Salt water gargles can help to ease a sore throat, but it's unlikely to solve the problem. It can also dry out your throat if you overdo it.

Posted by: Patricia | 2008/07/06

Edit: (from my birth until age 22, I only had this twice). Now I have this almost all the time.

Reply to Patricia