Posted by: Boerboel Owner | 2009/10/12

Another case of HD? Please advise

My 16 month old Boerboel (Floyd) last week when I got up to walk him along with other two dogs could not even get up to walk. He only made an effort to walk when gave him a treat. I saw that he was in bit of pain.

I took him to the vet later that day and she initially said he might have some kind of infection or other this was from the blood smear that she did. She decided to keep him overnight and the next day she started suspecting HD. The x-ray has not been done as yet in the meantime she has given me Rimadyl,Cani-Cal and some anti-biotic to give to him for the next week at which point she will then have a look at him again to determine if it is indeed HD.

She has suggested that he might need an operation but we have not as yet reached that decision.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberVet

Dear BO

Ask the vet when you see her again as an X-ray will give the clearest answer.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Kate | 2009/10/13

Hi Boerboel Owner &  Floyd.
I found that the more I talked to people about my dog and her problems the more information I got about HD.
I never knew about joint supplements, excercise etc etc.
One woman I know from the beach has 2 Labs who are almost 11 and the one had been diagnosed with HD at 6 months - I never knew this until I told her about Riley. Chatting to her really put my mind at ease.
Good luck and hopefully we hear more about what you have decided once Floyd has been diagnosed.

Reply to Kate
Posted by: Boerboel Owner | 2009/10/12

Than you kate maybe my subject line is a bit misleading I will obviously ask my vet some of my question but the reason for my post here was to hear as well from people in the same position as me as I know there quiet a few people in here who have had to deal with HD. Thank you nevertheless CV.

Reply to Boerboel Owner
Posted by: Kate | 2009/10/12

Hi there.
I just wanted to say that although each diagnosis is unique to the animal, my Lab x was diagnosed at 7 months with stage 2 hip dysplasia in both hips.
I immediately took her off to hydro therapy - every weekend for a month and then every 2nd weekend for another 4 sessions. I now excercise her every day for about 30 - 45 minutes.
Gentle excercise like a steady brisk walk - if the dog trots but no running, with rest in between.
I give her mobiflex twice a day and if she has overdone it a bit she gets Traumeel and a homepathic remedy.
It is also very important to keep the dog as thin as possible.
It is heart breaking to have an animal with HD but is not unmanageable.
I also opted not to operate although she was a perfect candidate at her age. I guess only time will tell if I did the right thing.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Kate and Riley

Reply to Kate

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.