Question
Posted by: bev | 2006/11/13

anorexia/bulimia

i have a niece of fourteen years old and she is both of the above, what are her chances of recovery. We are in south africa and she is in australia what can we say or do to help her mom, my husbands siser.

Expert ImageTeen expert

If she is receiving treatment and she is complying then there is a good chance she will begin to recover, but so much about an eating disorder depends on the persons readiness to change. There is often a very strong need to feel in control and if people try to take this away from her then they will face a major battle.

Her parents (both not just her mom) need to be very patient, but firm and consistent and need to be very involved in the treatment plan so that everyone is having the same approach with her - professionals and family.

Just letting them know you are there to talk and hear their worries is important. Beyond that, I would caution against giving advice even if asked for it, as treatment of an eating disorder is a very fragile process.