Question
Posted by: worried | 2007/04/26

Anorexia?

Dear DietDoc
My daughter is 18 years old and in matric. She is lately very obsessed about food. She is about 163cm and weigh 46.6 kg. She say that she feels out of control and that she can not cope with the fear of getting fat. She realises that she have a problem, but does not know how to stop/contol it. She also do a lot of group sport. At least 2 hours a day +/- 5 days a week.

To my mind she is already anorexic. Where and how do I start to approach this problem?

Dear Worried
I agree with you that your daughter is already anorexic. Her present BMI = 16,5 which is below the normal range and in the anorexic range. The other symptoms - obsession with food, feelings of loss of control, fear of getting fat when she is already skin and bones, excessive exercise - these are all typical of an eating disorder. She needs professional help ASAP. Anorexia, bulimia and orthorexia are Eating Disorders, which need to be treated with a team approach. Please consult a clinical psychologist (they are listed in the Yellow Pages under 'Psychologists' or you can ask your gp to refer you), to help you work out what underlying psychological problems are driving you to self-destruct and to learn most positive ways of dealing with these problems. You should also consult a clinical dietitian to assist you to get back to eating normally again. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. If you are in Gauteng then it may help to contact Tara Hospital as they have an Eating Disorder clinic (phone (011) 783-2010. In Cape Town and environs you can contact the Kenilworth Clinic (021) 797-1400 and in KwaZulu Natal there is Riverview Manor (033) 701-1911, or contact them on: www.riverviewmanor.co.za . This is not something that the patient can cure on her own and it would be a tragedy if this illness interferes with her Matric.
Go for expert help ASAP.

1
Posted by: ogies | 2007/04/26

sy is klaar besig om anorexia te kry, al die tekens is daar, kry vir haar help so gou as moontlik anders gaan sy net van die een eetsteurnis gaan na die ander( bulemia) as sy nie al klaar besig is om dit te doen nie, hulle eet baie min en dan oefen hul fanatic om dit af te kry

Reply to ogies