Question
Posted by: Gabrielle | 2006/07/20

Annorexia and bone loss

Hi there. If one has suffered from annorexia for a while, will it affect the bone in your mouth and jaw - causing it to be brittle (for e.g. to have dental implants). Thanking you

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Gabrielle
Anorexia can cause osteoporosis - especially if you have stopped menstruating. This means that the bone protective hormone , oestrogen, has been supressed due to low body weight. You also don't take in enough calcium in the diet. I suggest you go for a bone density measurement and see what the condition of your bones are. Usually dental surgery like implants are not affected by osteoporosis. For more info, you can contact me at the Osteoporosis Foundation- 021 931 7894.