Question
Posted by: Mitch | 2007/05/13

Ankles

How can i strenghen my ankles cause i play rugby and always in the beginning of the season i injury my ankles

Expert ImageArchive

Hi Mitch

Walking barefoot in the rain with your best gal by your side. Seriously, proprioception is the most important aspect of ankle movement and strength. Proprioception is also known as position sense. This means the position of your ankle in relation to the environment. And this is achieved by increasing contact of your feet with the outside ground. Ergo walking barefoot. Strappping or light ankle braces can help this as well.

if its your Achilles i would recommend stretching it gently by standing on a step and allowing the back of the foot to sink liower than the front. Gentle stretching.

dr P