Question
Posted by: sleepy | 2007/06/08

Ankle problems

I have experienced 2 ankle sprains (on the same ankle), but both without any consultation. I just allowed the ankle to heal itself and resumed to training 4-5 days later. These ankle sprains happened last year. This year I have experienced a Grade 1 sprain. Now, when I play basketball or even walking long distances, I feel a tinge of pain in my ankle, and it is really uncomforatble. However, the pain will subside by itself a while later. Why am I experiencing this, and do I need a ankle brace for this problem?

ps. Though my ankle sprains happened last year, my left ankle (the injured one) still seems larger than the right one.

Expert ImageArchive

Hi sleepy.
Reactive synovitis.
This is where the ankle keeps swollen bewcause of continuous fluid production within the ankl;e, causing it to swell.

A corticosteroid injection into the joint may help relieve swellling.

Also improve proprioception. This is where the ankle re-learns its position in relation to the ground. Improved by walking bare foot and wobble boards. Try long barefoot walks on the beach (partner optional)

Dr P