Posted by: Bambi | 2008/09/08

Ankle pain - Arthritis?

Hi there,

I have recently noticed that my ankles become really stiff and painful when i' ve been sitting for long periods or after sleeping. Once i' m up, i have to walk like a penguin for a few minutes and then i' m fine.

I' m eating about 17kgs overweight, been trying to lose weight, eat yoghurt every morning with breakfast and take no supplements (calcium,etc). I' m 34 years old and do step aerobics about 4-5 times a week and tennis about 2 times a week.

is it a sign that i' m getting arthritis?

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Bambi
You seem to be quite active, but need to combine this with a kilojoule restricted diet to lose weight. You will find that the ankles will probably be less stiff even if you lose only 5 kilos. Calcium supplements will help protect against osteoporosis (porous bones), but not arthritis which affects the joints. The step aerobics as well as the tennis which is high impact may also contribute to the stiff ankles, so the less weight you carry, the better. Try scaling down a bit on the high impact exercise and see if the ankles get better. A week or two without exercise will give you a better idea whether it is in fact the exercise.