Question
Posted by: Shanna | 2006/08/01

Ankle Pain

For the last few months I have experienced the most terrible pain over the outer ankle bone on my left foot. This pain comes in spasms that doesn't last more than 15 - 20 seconds at a time. Sometimes just a few times a day and other times 5 times an hour for 24 hours a day !! ... There is no pattern.
The pain feels like electric shocks (if you have ever got a shock from a wall plug you will know what I mean) and I have slight pins and needles at all times.
Over the last 3 days the pain has increased by 150% ... My boss isn't impressed as I keep shrieking every time I get a spasm.

My doctor is stumped but a physician friend in the USA says it sounds like a "neuroma"
What is that ?
Should I be seeing an Orthapaedic surgeon or a podiatrist ? .. would physiotherapy help ?
HELP !

Expert ImageArchive

Given that the pain is like an electric shock it sounds like a nerve entrapment. (the outside of the ankle is not a common site for this) I suggest you go to a neurologist because that is the best person to check which nerve is involved and at what point it is trapped/damaged. Only when that is known can you be advised as to what treatment is necessary.
Please ask your doctor to send you to a neurologist