Posted by: Jean | 2008/11/20

ankle injury

for the last 2month i have gone walking every night for atleast 30-45min. 4 times a week. for the last 2weeks ive increased that to tae-bo and then walking &  jogging short distanses inbetween.with the same time. 30-45min. 4 times a week with wednesday rest. and then just the tae-bo saterday morning. well monday i was jogging and my ankle (on the outside) started pulling. and till today its very sore and bit swolen. been doing excersise for some time now. not 100% fit but feel fit anoth to be jogging and doing tae-bo the same night. its just my ankle that is not feeling fit. how long should i rest my ankle for before getting back into the excersise. &  also i follow a very low fat eating plan with salad and steamed food only. with 2l water a day. and dont seem to be loosing anything. im 24, 1.73 tall and weigh 100 (very big boned).what am i doing wrong?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageFitnessDoc

Hi Jean

I think you've probably just increased to load too quickly, and the joint was fatigued and weakened, and picked up some problems as a result. The introduction of running to the programme represents quite a big increase in the loading, and a weak joint, or a tired joint, is very susceptible to injury. So my feeling is that you've just overdone it. What you need to do is rest it until it's healed, hopefully teh weekend did that, and then try again, but be more circumspect about how you go about it. Less running, perhaps, longer walk periods in between. Also, try to avoid running on the same side of the road all the time. I'd be careful about doing the taebo after jogging, because the rapid changes in direction and weight going sideways will cause problems during taebo. I dare say that might be how this injury happened on the Saturday, and then came through on Monday.

So just back off very slightly, give your body a chance, and it'll come right.

Good luck

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.