Question
Posted by: Jan | 2008/06/17

Ankle edema

I'm planning a trip to Bosnia-Herzegovina and Italy in the fall. It means a lengthy plane trip with only brief layovers. I gennerally have a problem with swollen ankles even on short trips. I know that elevating the feet and moving around are recommended to alleviate swelling. How high is high enough to elevate the feet? Is doing seated isometrics or other exercises enough. I usually don't like to move about the cabin. Is there anything else I can do to help avoid the swelling? I take Lotrel and Inderal as well as Simvastatin. Do these have any effect in causing edema?
Is there anything I should talk to my physician and nephrologist about prior to my trip?

Dear Jan
Invest in a pair of flight socks - it assists circulation and makes a huge difference. You can't practically elevate your legs in a plane especially if you fly economy class, but walking/standing every hour or so and doing the exercises like moving around your feet and doing isometric seating exercises do help.

1
Posted by: Jan | 2008/06/19

I've not heard of "flight socks". What are they and where are the available?

Thank you again.

Reply to Jan