Question
Posted by: Jimmy | 2006/10/30

Angioprim to clear blocked arteries

I am trying to find local info on the use and succcess of the product Angioprim in clearing and maintaining calcification in arteries. This product is related to chealation therapy and is claimed to be a possible alternative to heart bypass surgery.
Any assistance will help.

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Jimmy,

No medical treatment known is an alternative to bypass surgery. Please beware of unsubstantiated claims for non-registered, non-prescription products.

Removing calcium from the body cannot be limited to only one organ, eg the heart, so if this substance works as it claims, then your whole body will be affected. All your bones will soften, your teeth will be affected, your nervous system conduction will be severely affected, to name but a few. Even if your arteries are calcified, they will still allow blood to pass. It is only when arteries are narrowed or blocked that a problem arises, and this happens usually in non-calcified arteries.

If you have a problem of angina, or have had an angiogram demonstrating that your arteries are narrowed or blocked, then this product – or any other – will not do for you what bypass surgery can do. In any case, if you have this problem, there is no time to wait : blocked arteries need unblocking NOW, before they cause a heart attack.

In closing, I would like to give you a direct quote from the most Up To Date medical overview (April 2006) :

“Chelation: an ineffective therapy — has been advocated for the treatment of vascular disease, including CHD. It has been estimated that more than 500,000 patients a year receive chelation therapy at an annual cost of $3 billion. An overview of 22 uncontrolled studies and two small controlled trials found no evidence that chelation therapy was effective beyond a powerful placebo effect [23].
Chelation therapy is also associated with potential adverse effects, including renal failure, arrhythmias, tetany, hypocalcemia, hypoglycemia, hypotension, bone marrow suppression, convulsions, respiratory arrest, and autoimmune disease. Thus, chelation therapy should be discarded in favor of modalities of proven benefit.”

I hope this information is of use to you.

HeartDoc.

2
Posted by: Heartdoc | 2006/11/01

Dear Jimmy,
Thank you for the further information. Having these extra facts alters the picture entirely, and I would agree with your surgeon's opinion completely.

The statins have a good track record. Remember that for a doubling of the dose of a statin, there is only a 6% reduction in LDL cholesterol. So if your Dad is still way off target, he could discuss with his doctor adding in Ezetrol to his statin instead of doubling the dose. This gives a dramatic reduction in LDL.

I wish your Dad better health, and am glad that he is in good hands.

HeartDoc.

Reply to Heartdoc
Posted by: Jimmy | 2006/11/01

Thanks for the reply and info.

My dad is not going to consider surgery because of severe calcification in the neck artery and a previous stroke. The surgeon said that the risk of a stroke is very high.
I just hope that the medication to control cholesterol (statins) and thinning the blood will contain any further narrowing of the heart arteries. He is otherwise completely healthy and fit and does not suffer from angina. The angiogram was done because after 10 to 15 minutes stress testing on the bicycle the graph showed that under very high stress something may be wrong. The 2 stress tests a year apart showed the same results with no change for better or worse.

Jimmy

Reply to Jimmy