Question
Posted by: A | 2005/07/13

Angina or Stress?

I cant climb stairs without feeling like I am going to pass out, my heart beats so loud on my chest I could swear I had just run the Two Oceans Marathon. I get a sharp stabbing pain under my left breast and sometimes in the middle of my chest. its so sore, it takes my breathe away.

My dad died from a heart attack at 56, but he had 3 since he was 34.

My dr said I am anemic but i have been on the pills for 5 months now and its still happening. Could it be stress? Or Angina? Or something worse?

Expert ImageArchive

Dear A,
You need to see a cardiologist, and soon. You may be anaemic, but even if this is all that is wrong with you, then your anaemia is severe, and inadequately treated. In addition, anaemia is not a diagnosis – what you need to know is WHY are you anaemic. Unless the root cause is fixed, your anaemia will simply continue.

There is not enough information to make a diagnosis here – you really need to be fully examined by a doctor – preferably a specialist. You have a bad family history of cardiac disease, and may have a cholesterol problem yourself. Please remember that knowing your total cholesterol is not enough. Your total may be normal, but if it is all the “bad” cholesterol then you still need urgent treatment.

Your symptoms may be due to a lung problem, you may be very overweight, unfit, a smoker or have any of several other possible reasons to explain your symptoms, so please have yourself examined. It may be nothing serious at all, but with your family history, anaemia and symptoms you must do everything possible to diagnose the cause.

Good luck.

HeartDoc.

3
Posted by: Riette | 2005/11/02

Wat is die simptome van mantelvliesbreuk? Ek het konstante pyn op die krop van my maag. Somtyds beter of self weg, maar kom met tye weer terug. Kan dit dalk net prikkelbare derm wees? Ek is ook baie winderig en maagderm bewegings. Met tye sooibrand maar nie so baie nie. As ek diep asem haal, dan voel dit of my ribbes seer is. Voel opgeblaas. Raad asseblief? Ek is 'n fibromialgie lyer ook. Dalk dit? Stuur vir my 'n e-pos asb.
Dankie en hoop om spoedig van u te hoor.

Reply to Riette
Posted by: HeartDoc | 2005/07/20

Beste Leonie,
Die simptome van sooibrand en van hartprobleme kan soms moeilik van mekaar uitgeken word. Al het jy "n mantelvliesbreuk, kan jy nog steeds hartsiekte ontwikkel. Al manier wat jy sal kan vasste,l is om terug te gaan na jou dokter, en vra dat hy jou goed ondersoek vir beide moontlikhede. As hy onseker is, moet hy vir jou na 'n kardioloog stuur vir verdere toetse.

HeartDoc

Reply to HeartDoc
Posted by: LEONIE | 2005/07/20

EK HET 'N MANTELVLIESBREUK EN DIT HET BAIE BETER GEGAAN DIE AFGELOPE MAAND SELFS MY SOOIBRAND HET VERBETER. EK HET MY VANDAG ONTSTEL EN VAN TOE AF KRY EK PYNE ONDER MY LINKERBORS EN OOK SOOIBRAND. IS DIT MY MANTELVLIESBREUK WAT NOU WEER LOL OF IS DIT DALK MY HART. WAT PRESIES IS DIE SIMPTOME VAN MANTELVLIESBREUK EN WANNEER MOET EK BEKOMMERD RAAK.

BAIE DANKIE

Reply to LEONIE