Question
Posted by: yoga safe? | 2005/12/12

angina

I am suffering from a coxacy (sorry - not sure about the spelling) virus which attacks my heart. This cuases my heart to beat extremely fast between 120 and 150 beats p/min when I'm resting (i.e. laying on a bed...) and angina. My heart specialist said I'm not allowed to do any exercise as my heartrate is already 2 fast. are there any yoga ex. I can do without chasing up my heart rate any more.

PS: I'm on tables which brougth my h/r down to ± 90 - 100 p/min at the moment but the dr still won't allow me to do any exercise.

Expert ImageYoga

Hi there nameless - yoga is a very powerful stress reduction practise whereby a combination of postures and breathing allows you to reduce the heartbeat, slow the breath and reduce the energetic challenges on the body. So the short answer is yes! In a study published in the Journal of the Association of Physicians of India, researchers had 42 men with angina eat a heart-healthy diet, participate in moderate aerobic exercise, and take up yoga. A year later, the yoga group had significantly fewer angina attacks, lower cholesterol, and had lost more weight compared with the control group. And studies in the Lancet and Diabetes Research in Clinical Practice have indicated that yoga can help treat high blood pressure and diabetes. Try to avoid the more energetic and aerobic styles of yoga (Ashtanga, Vinyasa, Bikram, Flow, etc) and find a teacher that maybe has a remedial yoga background so that they can help you customise the practise to suit you. Even if you did nothing more than sitting and doing a breath focussed meditation you will do a huge amount to improve your state of life.
Good luck.
Chris