Question
Posted by: Amy | 2003/02/07

Angina ?

i am a 27 yr old female.....always had a low blood pressure..i am overweight and have recently strated exercising and am now following a diet. I did a workout last nite and woke up this morning at 4am with a VERY bad pain from left hand right up to my left shoulder. In addition to this my joints of my jaw were extremely numb and it felt as if the lower half of my mouth were about to fall off. I took 2 panados and the pain subsided half hr later and i fell asleep...at the moment i am just extremely exhausted....my friend tells me that her father had the same symptoms with angina..is this true...what am i suppose to do ?

Amy, you have to remember that usually angina is chest pain that comes on during exercise and that may be accompanied by all the symptoms you had. It sounds like you had everything except the crushing chest pain that is central to the diagnosis.
The problem is that every now and then someone presents with atypical angina and that’s why I think that the best would be for you to go for a stress ECG just to make sure.
I wrote something a while ago on the other than heart causes of chest pain and if you’re interested in a copy you can mail me at netdoc@mweb.co.za. Good luck.