Posted by: Honey | 2004/01/21


My son often have fits of anger and rage. He already threatened to kill me or whished for me to die. He is 24 and I am very concerned that he will harm me or his girlfriend. I have seen him pushing her but he is always sorry later and promisses never to hit her. How do I look for help before it is to late. I have already suggested he sees a thearapist but he refuses.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

Dear Honey,
The basic problem, usually, with someone like this who causes severe problems and concerns to other people and couldn't care about it himself, is that it's impossible to help them unless the agre and sincerely participate in proper expert help. Any psychiatrist or good clinical psychologist ought to be able to be of some help to your son, if he agrees that he has a problem and truly wants to get rid of the problem. But that sounds unlikely.
Until something or someone else convinces him that this is the only good alternative for him, you need to take steps to protect yourself and to discourage him from being violent. A lawyer can advise, that it is possible to obtain a court order forbiding him to harass or threaten you, and he would go to jail if he broke such a court order. Threatening to kill someone is a crime, so you can also make a formal complaint about it to the police, so that his threats are on record, and they can visit him and make it clear that they'll be back if he does get physically violent. Abusers usually claim to feel soprry ( but thyey're never sorry enough to stop doing it again, and again ).

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: honey | 2004/01/27

Dankie vir die raad Handy Andy. Ek sal iemand by Maties kontak. Baie dankie

Reply to honey
Posted by: HandyAndy | 2004/01/22

Whahahahaha k00s, is ook net jy wat so sal dink!

Maybe there could be some truth in what k00s says ... maybe your son does need shock therapy (it could be that only if you give him some of his own treatment he will be shocked to sanity).
Threaten him!

Seriously: If you are close to an University, speak to someone in the dept of human sciences: they may have a student willing to make a house call and willing to take on your son as as a case study (if your son refuses to go to the mountain, bring the mountain to him!)

Reply to HandyAndy
Posted by: k00s | 2004/01/21

o my soul,,,,,(jim reeves version)

get someone bigger & stronger to m&*%r him GOOD.....thas justabout all that will help at this stage,,,,,,,

& then refuse to pay the hospital costs

& threaten to send the same guy over again if he bothers u any further

unforthunately full frontal lobotomies is a bit outa fashion

Reply to k00s

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.