Question
Posted by: devastated | 2006/11/10

angel born alone

im devastated...my domestic woker..the most amazing person in the world...was 33 weeks pregnant. She phoned me yesterday morning to say she was not feeling well and that she was going to the clinic.

Later the day she left a message (i was in a meeting) to say she was on her way to the hospital. I phoned her little later to find out how she was doing and if she arrived at the hospital yet.

What i heard on the other side of the phone was not what anyone would want to go through. My domestic told me she was at her house (travelled from my house) and that she has just given birth (on her own - alone at home). I was in such shock but spoke to her all the time on one phone while getting hold of her husband on another phone and the ambulance from another phone! I asked her where the baby was she said next to her but baby was not breathing! She was so shocked...in pain...devastated!!

After much communication with her, her husband and the ambulance ...they advised me the baby died!!

Can you believe this...can you believe this can happen...can you believe that such an amazing person had to go through this trauma on her own....

Everything hit me last night (this all happened yesterday) ...i cracked..i screamed and cried like a baby!!

I hope and pray to GOD that this amazing lady (which i consider part of my family) will be able to overcome this absolutely devastating trauma she had to go through on her own yesterday.

Thank you for "listening".....i dont wish this on any lady ever!!

Indeed, what a terrible experience she must have gone through. Was she unable to get further than her own home, and thus not able to get to the clinic ? Or was there a problem at the clinic ? We really need far more provision of community-based and mobile midwives, in our maternity-care system, rather than expecting every woman to get to a clinic or hospital in time. Maybe there was already something seriously wrong with the baby, leading to the earlier than expected delivery, maybe the doctors will be able to tell her. I hope it will be practical for her to get support from her direct family and yours, and perhaps some counselling to help her get through this sad time

5
Posted by: pink | 2006/11/10

very sad story. i'll keep her in my prayers.

just be there for her.

Reply to pink
Posted by: Sandy | 2006/11/10

i am so sorry to hear that. that is really awful and i really dont know what to say but i will definately keep you gusy in my prayers. and i want to commend you ont he support you are giving her, not many people woul do that....

Reply to Sandy
Posted by: Echelle | 2006/11/10

That's just terrible!

Reply to Echelle
Posted by: devastated | 2006/11/10

Thank you CS..She was unable to get further than her house to go to the hospital...i wish i knew then i would have taken her!

They are doing the "nadoods ondersoek" today...so we will have answers.

I will give her all the support i can and make sure she gets professional counselling....

Reply to devastated
Posted by: Shari | 2006/11/10

I feel for you and your domestic!! Our domestic is a part of our family and we treat her with all the love and respect she treats us with!! You and your domestic are in my prayers and thoughts!!

Reply to Shari