Question
Posted by: Jan | 2005/07/20

Aneurism

I do have a aneurism in my heart.According to what i understand it is close to the one valve.I do think that it is in one of the sinusses.Apparantly it is not very big.The cradiologist reckons i must see him once a year.At one stage the valve could not close properly and some of the blood did leak back.At this stag i did feel very tired and was gasping for breath even after a shower.I still get pains in my left shoulder and up to my chin

Is this very dangerous.if this aneurism do bust how much time will i have to get to a hospital.

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Jan,

Yes, you do need to be seen and assessed not only by your cardiologist, but also by a cardiac surgeon. From your description, it sounds like an aneurysm of one of the sinuses of Valsalva. These are part of the Aortic valve, and could be causing the valve to leak.

There is no medical cure for this, only a surgical cure. This particular surgery is complicated, and should only be done by a very experienced surgeon.

As with any aneurysm, there is a risk of rupture – if this happens, you will have very little time to get to a hospital!!!

My advice to you would be to find an experienced surgeon, and have him assess you thoroughly. Your condition is not often seen, so you really do need someone with experience in this type of surgery. The cardiologist does not fully appreciate the risks of surgery, as he is not a surgeon. Nor is the cardiologist in the best position to advise you about the best time, or the urgency of surgery – and remember that surgery is your only option here.

Good luck. Please let me know the outcome of this via the forum.
HeartDoc