Question
Posted by: lup-dup | 2007/08/24

Anemia etc.

Thanx for the response doc(Heartbeat,17/08)..I realize anemia is not a diagnosis ,but my GP thinks it is caused by iron deficiency....Been vegetarian for 15 yrs+ and first time I have a problem with anemia...have donated blood before,more than 7 yrs ago last time though.Had a colonoscopy and gastroscopy done too check for internal bleeding etc.,but all well...Have done quite a bit of reading on the subject of iron deficiency anemia since....and have discovered some of my habits like drinking coffee with or shortly after meals has an influence on the absorption of iron.Also eat a lot of fibre rich foods and soy protein and love milk/cheese.Now I take Chela-fer tablet daily and avoid coffee and tea around meal time(well most of the time anyway).Less milkproducts and more vit.C.From what I have read it seems that when transferrin levels in the blood is high this normally indicates iron deficiency and not anemia due to chronic illness.The symptom that originally had me going to the GP was excessive sweating(only under my right arm)....I use Driclor now which works wonderfully.I also missed 2 periods earlier this year ,but thought it might be due to me stop taking the pill(Ginette) after being on it for about 2 years.Period been back to normal last 3 months...all though first 2 days last month heavier than usual.This month had a little bit of blood spotting around the time it was suppose to start, then nothing,and then came few days later.Some times get a pain in my lower left abdomin,little bit below ribcage(had a sharp pain while running 2 weeks ago,otherwise a faint pain every now and again).Is there any thing else I need looking at....should I make an apointment with a gynae?And about the heartbeat(see 1st post)....any reason for concern?Should I adjust my exercise program?

Dear Lup-dup

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

It sounds like if you are very informed about your problem. You should not be too concerned about your abnormal menstruation, as this is due to the fact that you stopped taking birth control tablets. Everything you are currently doing (exercise, diet etc) is perfect and you sound very healthy to me. Therefore, do not look for problems that are not present.

Kind regards