Question
Posted by: Dulce | 2007/02/23

Anemia

Please could you advise though for years doctors have been telling me I am anemic. 3 years ago I was diagnosed with severe anemia I was in hospital for 7 day where they pumped iron into me and have been taking iron tablets for as long as I can remember.

In the last year I feel my health has deteriorated. I can no longer go for long walks, I cannot do rock climbing as i struggle to breath after less than 5 minutes doing what I enjoy a little excersise.
About 3 weeks ago, we were out and I had a hard climb and walk back and this was the worst I have ever felt. My head felt like it was going to explode, my lungs were on fire and about 5 minutes after I had sat down to rest my chest felt like it was on fire and it hurt for a good 3 to 4 hours. Most of the times I am weak and extremely tired, lack of concentration, memory loss, shortness of breath even to do a flight of stairs, my heart feels as thought it is going to run out of my chest that is how fast it goes.

I am deeply concerned as I know it has gotten worse and yet doctors cannot tell me what is causing it or what I can do to cure it or make it better.

Dear Dulce
You have to see a hematologist - they will be able to determine the reason for the aneamia, if excessive menstrual bleeding, bleeding through the digestive tract, peptic ulcers etc are all excluded already. You may have a condition where your body does not absorb Iron or vit B12. Ask your doctor to refer you.

1
Posted by: Unique | 2007/02/25

Your situation sounds similar to mine. Maybe this can help:I have anaemia on and off. Last year my health got worse - get tired for DAYS after little exercise - I used to run/hike etc. I also had muscle pain, joint pain, a series of infection. I've also suffered from depression for as long as I remember. I decided to see a specialist physician who did a whole lot of tests (blood,machines etc). They all came back saying I'm in good health except for low iron. He referred me to psychiatrist for depression. In the meantime I had found out about M.E/chronic fatigue syndrome. I asked the psychiatrist about it and he did tests for viruses associated with M.E, I tested positive for one therefore was diagnoised with M.E.

So my point is do what you can to check if you don't have M.E. Unfortunately it's difficult to diagnoise as some doctors don't believe it exists, some say the 2 bllood test are not enough i.e. you can test negative for both virus and still have M.E.
hope this helps. I can identify. It's hard not being able to exercise as you want. I personally miss my outdoor life.

Reply to Unique