Posted by: Warts & all | 2008/06/21

Anal warts

I'm a bisexual and married. Have anal warts and are scared to visit a doctor for obvious reasons. How do I handle this?????. Please help!!!!

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageGay, lesbian and bisexual expert

Hi to you Warts & All, welcome to the forum and thanks for posting.

There is no doubt that you will need to see a doctor. Firstly, a doctor will need to confirm that these little goodies are indeed warts (and not piles, for example) and they'll need to be treated. If left untreated the problem will definitely get worse over time.

Warts are caused by a virus and as you know are easily spread from one person to another. The presence of any STI (including warts) is reason for concern in that it increases your vulnerability to HIV infection. If you had unsafe sex you'll need to factor this into your plan of action, in that you could be placing your wife at risk as well. If you're sexually active with your wife it could be wise to use condoms until you've seen a doctor, or you may want to avoid being intimate with her until you've been checked out.

Since you do need to see a doctor but may be wary of seeing your regular GP (who probably knows your wife as well?) I suggest you make an appointment with another doctor. If you're in Cape Town I can refer you to a gay-friendly clinic where no questions will be asked - contact me on

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.