Question
Posted by: Ash | 2007/04/17

Anal itching

Dear Doc,

I have a problem with anal itching... I don't know what else it can be cos I've dewormed myself the past 3 years 6 times - and it didn't stop the itching. I've used Dermovate cream, which soothes the itching - but 3 days later it starts again.
It's mostly at nighttime when it starts - after I had a bath - or went to the toilet.
I've been to a doctor but she says it's an irritation which is fairly common - but HOW can I stop this? It's very uncomfortable. Sometimes I scratched myself till it started bleeding.
Can it still be a worm infection?

Dear Ash
No if you have dewormed yourself it may be an internal hemorroid or a dermatitis - you have to check your diet, and I think you should ask your doctor to refer you to a dermatologist if her treatment does not help. But she must first exclude a hemorroid.
See also http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/anal-itching/DS00453