Question
Posted by: Stellie | 2007/05/16

Anal fistula - treatment options

I am a 39 year old woman and came under the knife about a year ago for the removal of a network of fistulas and abcesses. I was at the time advised by the surgeon that he left one fistula in place due to it "going through" the sphincter and that, should it not heal, I would eventually have to have a temporary colostomy for the fistula to be removed. The remaining fistula is still present and drains lightly, even though the rest of the area healed very well and no abcesses seem to be present. I have read on the Internet about an "anal fistula plug" available overseas that closes a fistula non-surgically, and also that fistulas are sometimes closed by means of "fibrin glue" or a "collagen plug". Are these methods used at all in South Africa? I would naturally like to avoid further surgery and the possible colostomy.

Hallo Stellie
Please look on easyinfo.co.za under medical for a gastroenterologist near you – I think you need a second opinion here!