Question
Posted by: Stella | 2003/12/03

Anaesthetic gas and pregnancy

I suspect I am about 3 and a half weeks pregnant. I was attending a operation my dog today and was in the theater for about an hour. Afterwards the doctor discovered that one of the tubes of the gas maschine was not attached, and that gas (Halothane) was licking from the open pipe. Could this affect my baby since it is so early in my pregnancy?

The anaestehetic should not affect your fetus. Many women have operations while they are pregnant and actually have anaesthetics themselves and this does not cause harm to the fetus.