Question
Posted by: NAT | 2004/11/11

AN ELECTIVE CAESARIAN

Hi Doc,
My first baby was delivered by emerg. C/S and with my 2nd child doctors believe it's better to have an elective caesarian.
Could you please tell me, when you have an elective caesarian how do the doctors determine the date for delivery? Do they do some extra scans or by just feeling the tummy? How do they know that the women will not go into the labour before the choisen date? What happens if she does?Is it dangerous?
Thanks.

Elective caesareans are done between 38 and 39 weeks pregnancy. This is worked out from your early scan. The reason for this is that the majority of women do not go into labour before then. If you do, you should just get to the hospital as quickly as possible and the caesarean will be done then. The risks are not very high if done early in the labour.

3
Posted by: Wendy | 2004/11/12

I went into labour 2 weeks before the scheduled caesar date, and everything went perfectly. I was more anxious that we were going to pluck her out of her little "nest" before she was ready.

Everything of the best for you and your little one.

Reply to Wendy
Posted by: Jelly | 2004/11/12

A friend of mine was scheduled o have her elective this last Tuesday - baby decided he was coming on Monday. She still had the ceasar and all is well. I dont think this happens often though, he just wanted out!

Reply to Jelly
Posted by: Francis | 2004/11/12

Normally you will go for a c-section on 38 weeks. They work that our from your LMP and they can see how big your baby is and developed. The chances of going into labour sooner is very low and if you go into labour you still have a c-section done.

I am going on 38 weeks for my one (begging of Feb). Good luck

Reply to Francis