Question
Posted by: Feeling peckish | 2005/07/14

An appetite-suppressant without side effects like palpitations and insomnia

Please could you tell me if there are anything available (besides will power) to help kick-start weight loss? As soon as I start modifying my diet to eat less carbohydrates, I immediately start having cravings for something sweet to eat or just plain comfort food, especially in winter. I desperately need to lose weight as I can't fit into my clothes and can't afford to buy anything new. I am in my fifties, go to gym at least 5 times a week (aerobics) and have been experiencing a genereal "thickening" of my body. I have tried appetite suppressants, but they have awful side effects. I believe in a healthy diet of proteine in moderation and lots of fresh fruit and vegetables. I don't think I'm ever really hungry, I just feel like eating something.

Dear Feeling Peckish
I don't know where the idea originated that carbohydrates are so fattening because they only contribute 4 cal per gram compared to 9 cal a gram for fat. So if you cut down on FAT instead of carbs you will lose weight and not experience all these cravings. Try eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss' , ‘The right approach' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and combine the diet with your exercise. Appetite suppressants are a no-no because as you have experienced they can cause such dreadful side-effects, including addiction and dependence. So leave them alone and use a sensible diet and your exercise to lose that weight.

1
Posted by: Laura | 2005/07/16

A Chromium Supplement has the same effect as an appetite suppressant. You can get it at the chemist.

Reply to Laura