Question
Posted by: xyz | 2004/01/13

amplified emotions

I have a HUGE problem. I am extremely sensitive and emotional. I also suffer from a lot of anxiety. I work as a manager and this causes performance issues. I have to be confrontational and I am unable to be that way. Also, when I am being confronted by others I take it too personal.

Is there medication that I can take that will eliminate my amplified emotions, and make me emotion-less. What does prozac do? how much prozac do I have to take to feel nothing for people's feelings?

dear xyz,
No, I don;t think that medications are likely to help. Indeed the valium family of meds, which some might siggest for you, could worse that emotional amplification you complain of, as alcohol would.
And the aim surely shouldnt be to "feel nothing for people's feelings" ? What a monster one could become if one achieved that aim ! Isn't what you need, to be able to recognize and respond appropriately to other people's emotions, and your own, but to keep them in proportion ? I think counselling, which could include a focus on the areas of management interpersonal skills you feel you may lack, would be best.