Question
Posted by: piglet | 2004/09/28

amount of kilojules in one kilogram of body fat

I am struggling to shift the few remaining kilo's i have to lose before i reach my ultimate goal weight. I would like to know how many kilojules there are in one kilogram of body fat in order for me to create a deficit in my kilojule intake so that i can safely lose these last few kilograms before the December holiday. I would also like to know how you work out how many kilojules there are in a calorie (do you have a calculation ?).

Thank you!

Dear Piglet
Basically you can work on 37 kJ per gram of fat, thus 37000 kJ for the kg of body fat, but before you despair, remember that the kg of fat also contain some water. If you reduce your daily energy intake by 2100 kJ per day then you should lose between 0,5 and 1 kg of weight per week - so you have plenty of time before Christmas. The conversion factor for calories to kilojoules is: 1 kcal = 4.2 kJ, thus 100 kcal = 420 kJ and vice versa, so 1 kJ = about 0,24 kcal. Do some regular exercise to shift those last few kgs.

1
Posted by: Pirate | 2004/09/28

1g of fat = 9 calories. But that's only half the answer. Check my question/statements in 7467 below and let's hope the Doc replies to it.

Reply to Pirate