Question
Posted by: Bee | 2006/11/09

Ami and Stent

hi there again, i had an anterior mi on the 19th Sept and had a stent put in. I am 44 years old (F). I was smoking 40 ciggs a day and stopped the minute i came out of hospital. After about 4 weeks things got very stressful (no excuse i know) and i am now smoking again - 5 -7 a day. I really need to stop and tell myself that every time i light up. pls pls pls give me some frightening medical facts that will not make me pick up a cigg ever again. Thank you so much

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Bee,

You are walking example of enough frightening facts as it is. You are working well towards your next MI. As you have already killed off part of the main pumping chamber of your heart, the next MI will have to target a different part of your heart. If you are lucky, it will affect the part which controls the rhythm, so you will develop a fatal arrhythmia and die without too much pain. Unfortunately it will happen too fast for anyone to help you – not like last time. So your next one will probably be your last one.

HeartDoc