Question
Posted by: nicolene | 2007/05/12

AMH Levels

Can you advise what are normal ranges for AMH (anti-mullerian hormone) levels at age 30+?

I am 33 and have an AMH level of 0.49 tested on day 14 of my cycle. I am a little concerned as from what I've read, this appears to be a sign of very low ovarian reserve.

I have done 3 IUI's so far which have been unsuccessful. I'm wondering if we will have a better chance of success with IVF but concerned with the low AMH?

Thanks,
Nic

Dear Nicolene

AMH is a recent introduction to testing for ovarian reserve and is yet to be proven to be useful on a large scale. What would be important is to combine the AMH values with antral-follicle count done by ultrasound scan within the first 5 days of the menstrual cycle. Antral-follicle count (AFC) appears to be consistently the most reliable marker for ovarian reserve at this point in time. However the more tests that are done such as FSH, LH and Ihibin B together with AMH and antral-follicle count, the more closer one gets to a more accurate indication of ovarian reserve. It is our practice that after 3 failed IUI's we would automatically consider a patient for IVF.