Posted by: sarah | 2008/07/18

AMH blood test results

I am 33 years old and have 3 children, all conceived via AI (donor sperm as hubby has azoospermia). During my last AI in January 2007, I was given the lowest does of gonal f and to my fertility specialists surprise, I produced 2 mature eggs and 4 smaller eggs which he was concerned might also mature by the time of AI. We nearly cancelled the cycle due to the risk of multiples but went ahead and I now have twins from that cycle.

I decided I wanted to donate eggs and went to a well kow fertility clinic in Sandton. (not to the clinic I had my AI' s but the another major fertility clinic in Sandton). I had a scan and the dr said all looked perfect. I also had a AMH blood test. I was shocked to get the results this week. I scored 1.02 which I was told means that my ovaries are not suitable for donating. I know AMH measures egg quality and store and am surprised I scored so low based on my last AI and the fact that my fertility doctor said I was " very fertile"  in January last year!
1. Can fertility decline so rapidly?
2. What is the range of values in an AMH test?
3. And what denotes optimal fertility?
4. Does this mean if I ever want another child, I may be the one needing donor eggs?
5. How long can I afford to wait? We thought we might want another baby in 4 years but with a level this low, would that be possible?

Sorry for all the questions, but would really appreciate your advice

Dear Sarah

AMH results by themselves are not entirely reliable and should be viewed in conjunction with other blood tests such as FSH levels as well as ultrasound evidence of follicle activity (antral follicle count). Some clinics apply the rule to AMH extremely strictly particularly in the donor program, since they want to hyper stimulate to a point of maximum egg production. This does not necessarily imply that in soft stimulation protocols you will not produce adequate eggs or good quality eggs and therefore I certainly would not at this stage be overly concerned. However I would strongly advise that you get a second opinion from another fertility specialist and perhaps have the AMH test repeated, as there are some serious errors of fluctuation and in measurements.

Answered by: Dr.M.I. Cassim

Posted by: Dee GTC | 2008/07/18

Firstly, before jumping to any conclusions i would repeat the AMH test - labs have been known to get the results wrong.I know the docs like the level to be above 1, anything less means that you are heading for menopause and have poorer egg quality - its not to say that you wont be able to fall preg again it just means it might be a bit more difficult. Remember its the quality of the eggs that is important not how easily you stimulate. Fertility starts to rapidly decline at age 35, if you want another one, you should maybe start thinking of it now.

Reply to Dee GTC