Question
Posted by: Cindy | 2005/07/03

am using Xanor for anxiety and withdrawal from narcotics

Can I use Tryptanol as a substitute? Are there alternatives with less side affects (excluding Valium)

Expert ImagePharmacist

Cindy,

Xanor (alprazolam) is a benzodiazepine that is primarily indicated for the treatment of anxiety states whereas Tryptanol (imipramine) is a tricyclic antidepressant indicated primarily indicated for the treatment of depressive illness and associated anxiety. Alprazolam is faster acting, but is also indicated for shorter periods of treatment. Therefore tryptanol may be of benefit, but it may take longer to produce the wanted effects. Note that it also has side effects.
Your withdrawel should be monitored by a professional and I recommend not to change your treatment without talking to this person first.