Question
Posted by: SJ | 2003/03/20

AM PREGNANT, NEED ANXIETY MEDICATION.

HAVE BEEN TAKING CIPRAMIL FOR ANXIETY FOR THE PAST YEAR AND A BIT. I RECENTLY DISCOVERED I AM PREGNANT AND WAS ADVISED TO STOP THE CIPRAMIL. NOW AT 8 WEEKS I AM FINDING IT HARD TO COPE WITH MY ANXIETY AND MOODS AT WORK.WORK IS QUITE STRESSFUL BUT CANT AFFORD TO STOP WORKING .I DID READ IN A PREGNANCY BOOK MILD TRANQUILISERS / CALMING TABLETS CAN BE PRESCRIBED. PLEASE HELP ME.WHAT TABLETS WILL I BE ABLE TO TAKE? I WAS ONLY TAKING HALF A TABLET OF CIPRAMIL A NIGHT AND WAS DOING FINE FOR THE FIRST TWO WEEKS .HELP NEEDED URGENTLY.THANX.

I do not think that you should self-prescribe in your current situaiton. You should discuss treatment with a doctor ,preferable a psychiatrist. It may be that psychotherapy may be the best option at present. If depression is the main problem, drugs such as Prozac can be used.