Question
Posted by: fat % | 2005/12/15

am on target weight

Hi there,

I am on my target weight, but due to more fat than muscles i and still wobly... not good.. I want to increase my lean body mass and lower my body fat %.... any suggestions?

I am currently trying out weighless and doing spinning 4-5 times a week with 3 weight training sessions.

What you are doing sounds pretty good - diet, cardio exercise and weight training all combined in a week's training, and so that's the formula that should see you achieve success. The results you are looking for are a little more difficult to achieve than simply losing weight, as you may have experienced. Increasing lean muscle mass can take a little longer, particularly in certain people. Some people just seem to build muscle instantly, others not so quickly and it may be that you are in the latter category, I'm not sure. However, I do think that you need to continue doing what you are. I think that you must resist the temptation to cut back the spinning and do more weight, because the lowering of fat percentage is probably the more imporatnt goal, at least initially. So stick with spinning and maybe as you get fitter, just make sure that you continually increase your intensity. It's important that you are getting the same level of workout and often, in my experience, as people get fitter, they tend to stay at the same level, when they should be constantly going harder. I'm not saying you should go out and ride yourself into a coma, but certainly pushing hard will help with both the fat burning and the increasing lean mass.

Then, finally, the weight sessions are very important, and here I believe the important thing is to make sure the session is challenging. You have to find just the right weight to lift, so that you are not straining and absolutely exhuasted after doing only 1 set of 15 reps, but you have to also feel fatigued towards the end. The aim would be to do 3 sets of about 12 repetitions, and so by the 10th or 11th rep of the first set, you should start to feel the 'burn', so to speak. You should still however be able to perform the next two sets, each time getting harder, but not impossible.

I hope this helps. I think that you just need to stick with it. Remember, it's not an easy goal, it will take time, so be patient and work at it!