Question
Posted by: am i running to much | 2006/11/09

am i running to much

I am 21 and weigh 60kg, height 1.75m, i run monday, wednesday and friday mornings, for about 30 minutes, it works out to about 4kms, in the morning, then i run monday to thursday in the afternoon about 7-10 kms, which works out to 40-60 minutes depending on how i feel, is this ok, or to much running

HI there

Hard to say, though running twice a day can be taxing on the body. Most people wouldn't be able to handle it, but then perhaps you are not most people!

The thing in your favour is that the morning runs are relatively short and probably not all that strenuous, which means that you have sufficient time to recover before your next run. The problem 'spots' will happen on the days AFTER you run twice (so Tuesday, and Thursday), because that's when you will be doing your 3rd training session in 24 hours, and then of course, 12 hours later, you do a fourth, so just be careful. If you are feeling OK now, then it's fine, and I would say that you are not running too much. However, the first sign of injury, like a tiny niggle, should cause you to skip a day or two of running in the morning, just to make sure that that little strain doens't become a big problem.

So be aware and listen very closely to your body and I'm sure it will be fine.