Question
Posted by: ouch | 2004/10/11

am I ok

I bled after the first time I had sex, it lasted for the rest of the day. Is this normal? Please help

It is normal for some women to bleed after having sexual intercourse for the first time. Bright red in color, the bleeding is caused by stretching of the hymen until it tears. If the bleeding continues, it will turn dark red and trail off until it stops, typically within a few days.

If a woman is penetrated with fingers and experiences bleeding, there are a few causes. If she's a virgin, it's likely that her hymen has been torn. It's also possible that her vaginal walls have been scraped by her partner's fingernails, in which case it's important for her to be examined and get treatment so that she does not develop a vaginal infection.

In either case, a woman needs to see a health care provider for a check-up if:

bleeding is significant (is heavier than the first couple of days of her period, is constant, and/or soaks through a tampon and a pad)
bleeding persists for more than a few days
there is pain that does not get better
she is worried about anything regardless (for some peace of mind)

In order to heal, it's important not to have any vaginal penetration (no penises, fingers, tampons, etc.) and orgasm until after the bleeding has completely stopped. If bleeding returns after vaginal penetration or orgasm has resumed, then go to a health care provider for a check-up.

While it's highly likely that the bleeding is in response to a sexual act, it's also quite possible that it may not be related. If the bleeding starts out as dark, rather than bright, red in color, then there may be bleeding from the cervix or higher up in the uterus. This is not normal after first sexual intercourse and needs to be looked at by a health care provider as soon as possible.

1
Posted by: CJ | 2004/10/11

This is perfectly normal, all that happened is that your hymen broke so it does cause bleeding. It should go away in a day or two don't worry.
I just hope you were wise enough to use a condom, as the old wives tale of not being able to fall pregnant the 1st time is just that... an old wives tale.
Hope this eases your mind a bit.

Reply to CJ