Question
Posted by: DV | 2007/05/07

Am i Losing it?

I left my husband of 22 years in Jan due to his drinking.I tried everything in my power to help him stop, but of course his addiction was stronger. After i left him, he booked himself into rehab for 3 months. he has now been out for nearly 4 weeks. While in rehab he was forbidden to contact me, as the counselors advised that he was 'addicted' to me aswell, and for his recovery, abstinence is the answer. However, since he has been out, we have to communicate- selling of house, joint business interests. kids,etc- but it has now led to his phoning me up to 20 times a day and sms'ing constantly. I am trying to support him in his recovery, but i have no idea how much i should give. I dont want to go back to him, he cant seem to accept that, and i think he is using again, the signs are all there. i panic when he phones, and i hear that slurring tongue, he says he is just tired- he is working long shifts- I know i cannot control his actions, and his drinking is his problem, but how do i control my feelings, and stop this panic thats inside me.

Phoning 20 times a day is addictive style behaviour to, isn't it ? Report this to whoever is still treating him. He CAN control these actions, but doesn't choose to do so. Change your phone number etc., and consider approaching a court for an order to prevent him from harassing you further

1
Posted by: JIM BEAM | 2007/05/07

DV
FIND A SUPPORT GROUP. HAVE IT OUT FACE TO FACE IN A SITUATION YOU CONTROL WITH HIM AND THEN,MAKE IT WORK OR BREAK CLEAN, FOR HIS ,YOURS AND THE CHILDRENS SAKE.THE PANIC YOU FEEL IS BECAUSE YOU KNOW WHATS WAITING IF HE IS DRINKING AGAIN.THIS TIME BE PRO-ACTIVE NOT REACTIVE.

Reply to JIM BEAM