Question
Posted by: Dula | 2006/04/05

Am I going crazy?

Hi Doc: I lost someone very special to me. I see him everywhere. It seems as though my imagination superimposes an image of him on to other people that may have something in common to him. If I follow them to get another look I can see that it is not him. Once or twice the image has stayed with me for egs, I "saw" him walk into the movies and I thought: Thats ok everythings allright he's just in the movies and everything was ok with the world for a while.
It has been over a year since he died and I know even though I found him and saw him dead my mind does not want to believe it. I have been in hospital for major depression since then and am on medication.
Just one bit of advice I dont want to get is when people remind you of the living. I give 100% of myself to everyone in my life and take care of my family very well. Everyone alive knows I love and care for them. I am going through this on my own as I dont want to alarm anyone close to me. Please can you tell me if this is crazy?

YOu're describing, very well, very common and normal responses to loss. Most people don't talk about such experiences, so the rest of us feel as if there must be something wrong with us if we experience this. It's normal, and one of the ways our mind tries to help us adjust to such a sad loss, by making it a bit more gradual. You're not in the least bit crazy.