Question
Posted by: M | 2004/09/30

am i exercising enough to lose weight?

Hello. I am trying to lose weight. I am eating healthy like apples, tuna, grapefruit, provitas, special K, rye bread and low fat yogurt. I exercise every day. My walking route is 2km. I walk most the route and jog the last length. I repeat the route 3 times. Also i lift 3kg weights everyday (30 lifts to firm up the arms). I also do 30 situps and run up stairs 10 times. Is this enough to lose weight? Are the situps enough to flatten my stomach? Is the lifting enough to tone my arms?

Hi M

It sounds like you are doing a decent overall programme, but it's a very difficult question, not one that I can just answer simply yes or no. It all depends on how you exercise, how you eat, your genes. There are so many factors that come into play.

I would suggest that you just keep this up, because it sounds like a good programme. Your most important component is definitely the cardiovascular training, the walking and the jogging. THis is what is required for weight loss and so should make the up the bulk of your time. The situps and the weight training is good for toning, so keep it up and it should bring results. The important thing is putting it all together, and for some insight I would suggest that you check out the following site:

http://www.health24.com/fitness/Getting_started/16-474-488,24069.asp

Here you will see a number of options for training programmes. My advice would be to choose the Shape up for Summer programme (the first or second one) and then go for that.