Question
Posted by: Jennifer | 2006/04/02

Am I entering the menopause ?

I don't yet have any symptoms of the menopause, besides one or two stray hairs on my chin.

However, I have noticed that my menstrual cycle is getting shorter. Most months it seems to be around 23 days. And I sometimes have some brown spotting a day or two before it starts. I also experience PMS like never before.

Could my shortened menstrual cycle be an indication that I'm entering the peri-menopause? I will be turning 41 soon.

Hi Jennifer
You are a bit young still but you can ask your doctor to draw a FSH test which will give you an indication of where you stand with the hormones. Most women go into menopause at about 51 years of age.