Question
Posted by: rose | 2005/01/11

Am I eating too much?

I am desperate!!! I have to lose weight and I have been trying for months! This is my average daily diet:

Breakfast: Cereal with plain yoghurt and honey
Lunch: Either, salad (no dressing) or baked beans with 2x provita or wholewheat salad and cheese roll
Dinner: normally meat with veg or a healthy caserole
Snacks: 2x fruit or rice cakes/provita
Bevarages: 1.5l water and 4 cups of tea (1 sugar + skim milk)
I think this adds up to about 4500 kj, how can I get it down?
PLEASE HELP!!!

Dear Rose
I can't understand why you are not losing weight on this diet which is actually quite well balanced and has a low energy content. It could be that you are either not very overweight (?) or that you weight is already within the normal range. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Tools' and work out your BMI. If it is between 18 and 25 then your weight is already in the normal range and you will struggle to lose fast. You can try adding exercise (go for a brisk 30 min walk every day), but don't reduce your energy intake even more because your body may switch off its weight loss systems in view of a 'starvation' diet (this may already be the case, ironic as this may sound). One other factor that you may have to take into account if you are overweight is insulin resistance which can severely hamper weight loss. Have a medical checkup and ask your dr to check your thyroid, female hormones and insulin to see if this is the problem.

1
Posted by: c | 2005/01/11

Check your BMI - if it's around 23 or less, losing any weight will be difficult because you're already pretty much ideal. Your body will resist any risk of becoming too thin.

Reply to c