Question
Posted by: tantra | 2003/01/17

am i eating right?

Hi. I am a seventeen year old female. I do not have a weight problem but would like to lose the 5 kilograms I have gained over the past few months. I run anything between 6 and 8 kilometres a day, spend an hour doing cardiovascular activites such as high intensity cycling, and also do 2 gym classes such as aerobics and body conditioning, a day, 6 to 7 days a week. I eat healthily, and nibble mostly on things like provitas, yoghurt, raisins and fruit BUT I nibble a lot. Our main meals also consist mostly of veggies and healthily cooked foods. I don't ever over-indulge in sweet fattening things. What can I do to lose the excess kilos, and should I be following a specific diet for the amount of exercise I do?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Dear Tantra
I can't give you an opinion because you don't list your weight in kg and height in metres so that I can work out your BMI. For all I know you may be underweight, despite those 5 extra kg seeing that you do so much exercise. Read my reply to 'Argus' on 16 Jan 2003 to get some idea about the needs of high performance athletes. Your eating habits sound fine to me. If you would like me to work out your BMI then post a NEW message listing your weight and height and then we can see.
Take care

1
Posted by: Ma'at | 2003/01/18

My feeling is that BMI is a pretty useless calculation for athletes - the entire Sprinkbok rugby team would be classified "obese" based in BMI. I have 15% bodyfat and am muscular and athletic and also classified "obese" acording to the BMI index! BMI is inappropriate for someone who follows your exercise regime. You might not have a "weight" problem, but you may have a "fat" problem, meaning your bodyfat % may be high due to excess or inappropriate carb intake. (Basically you don't like the way you look, hey?) Get your bodyfat % checked by a reliable practitioner and take it from there. It seems you need to do some resistance training, ie weights. No, you won't get bulky and look like a body builder but you will change your shape to something you prefer. No abount of cardio can change the way you look. You need to drop fat, (not weight) and build muscle to change your look.

Reply to Ma'at