Question
Posted by: PC | 2007/12/01

Am I eating correctly?

Dear DietDoc,
I'm a 31 years old man, who does 5 to 6 hours of exercise each week.
During the last 16 months I've lost 12kgs, through exercise and a much careful diet.
Right now my data is: 1,87 mt. high; 86 kgs; 16% body fat; 56% water.
My normal daily meals are:
A. Weekdays:
1. Breakfast:
- 1 glass of natural orange juice;
- 3 slices of bread (never wheat) with butter;
- 1 glass of milk (+/- 300 ml.);
- 1 glass of milk with a Protein suplement (WHEY Gold Standard);
- 1 expresso.
2. Lunch:
- soup;
- Grilled fish with 1 potato and vegetables;
- 1 expresso.
3. Dinner:
- 1 soup.
During the day I drink 1,5 liters of water.
Saturday:
1. Breakfast and lunch: as in weekdays;
2- Dinner: we go out and I have something which is not grilled, and I eat an ice-cream.
Sunday:
1- We have something like an egg tortilla (without potatoes) + jorange juice + 2 slices of bread (wheat) + 1 chocolate croissant + 1 glass of milk + proten milkshake.
2- Lunch:at 16:30, for instancewe eat a fried stake with french fries, and I eat an ice-cream.
3. Usually we don't have dinner.
On weekends, I eat some sweats, in order to satisfy my body (and mind), and that my body dosen't get used only to eating correctly.
My intention right now is to loose a little bit more of body fat, and to gain muscle.
Could you please criticize my diet.
Thank you in advance for your answer.
Best regards,
Alexander

Dear Alexander (PC)
Basically your diet seems reasonable, but it is quite high in energy. Do you for example use low-fat or fat-free milk? Give it a try to reduce your fat intake. You are also not ingesting any fruit? (a rich source of vitamins and antioxidants). However, you have successfully lots 12 kg and your present BMI = 24,6 which is already nearly ideal so you don't need to reduce your weight much more, only about 6 kg. Your body fat% is also nearing the average for adult men of 14% and it will continue to drop as you continue to exercise. The same applies to building muscle tissue. It takes time to do this, but if you persist with the exercises (esp working with weights) then you will increase your muscle tissue percentage.
Good luck with your regimen

1
Posted by: Dean | 2008/08/28

I am 43 year old male. My height is 1.8m. What should my BMI be. I am currently weighing 93, but I would like to know how much I SHOULD weigh.

Reply to Dean