Question
Posted by: Cherry | 2007/11/30

Am I eating correctly?

Dear DietDoc

I want to loose all the baby fat that I picked up while I was pregnant. I used to weight 58/59 kg's. I now weight 65 kg and have lost 1kg in the current week.

Please advise me if what I am eating is correct and / or how I should eat to continue loosing?

Breakfast:

Either low fat yoghurt with muesli or health fibre rusks with black coffee

Lunch:

Either, sandwich with ham, cheese & tomato or chicken (skinless) salad with low fat salad dressing

Supper:

Either red or white meat (variating 3 times a week) with vegetables (boiled), and potatoes/rice (both boiled).

I tend to cut my starch intake to at least only once a day, and I drink at least 4 glasses of water daily.

Is this healthy???

Dear Cherry
Basically the diet lacks good sources of calcium. An adult woman requires 1000 mg of calcium a day. I would, therefore, advise you to have 2-3 cups of fat-free milk or yoghurt a day to ensure that you are getting enough calcium esp after having a baby. You also need to have at least 2 fruits a day to provide you with protective nutrients like vitamin C and beta-carotene. Also make sure that the starches you eat contain dietary fibre (e.g. brown rice, sweet potato, samp, unsifted maize meal, etc) to prevent constipation. Also vary your protein intake by eating fish at least 3 times a week (tuna or salmon canned in water, or grilled fish) to boost your omega-3 intake. Combine the diet with regular daily exercise such as going for a brisk walk or joining a gym to also tighten up any muscles that may have got slack with the pregnancy.