Posted by: flower | 2004/01/07

Am I doing something wrong

I have a german shepard who was on superwoof, it was great and we had no problems with the dog food,.
One day my friend told me about omega 3 tablets and I should try to get a dog food that contains it as it is very healthy for the dogs. I called my vet and he agreed and said I should change my food to vets choice. The thing is, it is the first month now, or at least he has been eating vets choice for about 3 weeks now, but I can notice the amount of weight he has lost, and he wasn't a fat dog. I am really worried. I do feed him according to the recommended weight, but why is he loosing so much weight, is it ok. I love my dog, but I don't have money to take him to the vet, I can barely afford his dog food, but I would only feed him food from the vet because I know its best for him.
Should I be worried or should I wait another month and see what happens.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberVet

The best food for your dog, is the food that he does well on. German Shepherd dogs particularly, are quite sensitive to various diets and what is good for one German Shepherd is not necessarily good for another. They are quite prone to dietary intolerance, which is not a reflection upon the quality of the diet, but rather an inherent factor within each dog. Therefore, if your original diet resulted in a dog which was looking well, and performing well then that is the better diet for your particular dog. Conversely, if the second diet resulted in a better looking dog, then that would have been the better choice for your particular dog. Therefore, go back to the original diet. Don't be too worried about the omega three fatty acids, as most diets will have adequate levels for the average dog. If you are still worried about omega three levels, you could always add it in in tablet form.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.