Question
Posted by: darr3nh | 2007/04/10

Am I doing it right?

Hello all,

Hope you all had a good Easter Weekend?

Okay so here is my question.

I’ve been going to gym for 2 months now at 3 times a week. This is what my training generally consists of:
2 Laps around the Track for a warm-up.
1000m Rowing or 10 minutes on a Stationary Bike.
Super Circuit (Including the Stairs)
2 Laps around the Track for a cool down.

I drink a Protein Shake after my work out as I find I’m rather hungry after said workout.

So now the issue/problem I’m not seeing much improvement from these sessions.

I’m rather overweight and am looking to build lean muscle, as I’d like to start rock climbing.

Age: 27
Weight: 126Kg
Height: 1.89m

Is the above workout good or should I look at something else or is it still to early to see any difference? I’m also asthmatic and find the workout a little challenging some days.
Sadly I cannot afford a personal trainer.

I look forward to any advise.

Regards,

DJ

It's a little early still to be seeing results in terms of weight loss, perhaps. Some people would, but remember that we are not all the same and so we respond differently to training.

But I think what is important here is that you define your achievements a little differently - is weight loss the best thing to aim for early on? Probably not, I always advise people to look at their fitness levels first. And just looking at what you have done, it's not clear whether you are fitter now than 2 months ago. And you should see changes in fitness. So if that warmup and that rowing or cycling feels the same to you now as it used to, then perhaps you need to make changes, because you are not getting fitter. Perhaps you could try the following for a month or 6 weeks - first of all, can you get a 4th day a week in there? That would make a big difference. Then, try to cut down on the super circuit on at least 2 of these days - you don't really need this. Instead of spending maybe 15 minutes on the circuit, do cardio exercises instead. You could walk for 10 minutes at a brisk pace, you could row an extra 5, or cycle another 5. Or maybe just go straight for 20 minutes on rowing and cycling. But if you can increase the cardio on 2 days a week, you'll start to get fitter. And once you start getting fitter, then you can walk or cycle or row even faster and then you get even more fitter. And the fitter you get, the more weight you will lose. So that would be my approach. Add a day, and focus on fitness.

Finally, diet is vital. there's nothing obviously wrong with that protein shake, it's fine if you are hungry, but you may want to look at the rest of your diet, throughout the day. It's critical that you eat in relation to your activity. What happens so often is that people will exercise, but simply eat more. That doesn't help - you need to eat the same as before, and exercise more. Or cut down on the eating. But it's not so simple and so my advice is that you see a dietican about it, because it really is the critical part to your success.

1
Posted by: darr3nh | 2007/04/11

Thank you for your responce.

I will definitaly try work that into my gym sessions.

DJ

Reply to darr3nh