Question

Am I doing it properly

Hi there,

I'm 26yrs old, 1.53m tall and weigh 55kg. I'd like to weigh 47kg.

I recently started a gym routine, and prefer the classes as opposed to the circuit. What would the best combination be (with a class routine) to achieve my goals?

I currently do 2 (1 hour) strength classes, and 1 - 2 (1 hour) cardio classes per week.

Also - what's best to lose weight, and tone up - stength / resistance or cardio work-outs?

Thanks!

Hi Anon

Firstly, I think a goal of 47kg is exceptionally low. I know you've probably worked this out based on your BMI and said you'd like it to be 20, but to get down to that weight is seriously challenging, and I'd caution against setting that particular goal. I would say that what you should be trying to achieve is to tone up, improve your fitness and then possibly stay at the same weight you are now. Remember that with training will come increased muscle tone and that by itself means weight goes up. So therefore, if you can stay at more or less the same weight, then you'll be achieving something.

As for how to do this, the classes are fine, but I'm not going to say which is better - the best one is the one you enjoy the most. So you have a range of classes to choose from, and my advice is to select the ones you enjoy the most. The only "conditions", so to speak, is that I would advise about 2 to 3 classes a week in cardio and 1 or 2 in strength, so you have the balance pretty much right as it is. I think that for the first month or two, what you might benefit from is doing EVERYTHING - try all the classes at least once and see how it goes. As you learn and gain experience, you can select those that are more enjoyable and stick with them. You'll soon establish a routine and that's what will work for you.